Re: New layout language.

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 16:20:53 +0200
To: Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Matthew Raymond wrote:

>> There is another thing that would be useful, which you have not
>> addressed in your proposal: box A and box B are placed next to
>> eachother. However, if their minimum size exceeds the size of the
>> window, they could be put below eachother. Kinda like floats interact
>> with eachother, but then different. Absolute positioning + float. Or
>> something. Currently, the solution for that is to use media queries.
>> Which might be sufficient as well.
>
>    This isn't covered by "display: inline-block"???

Oh, right. Inline-block is similar to floats in that, yeah.

However, for a width of ‘auto’ it shrink-fits the content, just like
floats do, which was exactly why I thought floats alone weren’t
sufficient. Also, inline-block doesn’t have the positioning freedom that
absolute positioning has (but then again, maybe it isn’t possible to
have the best of both worlds).

~Grauw