Re: Primer for layout/formatting split.

From: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 10:00:43 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

On 7/5/05, David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > 3) Consistent layout aids in the ability to find things due to spacial
> > orientation.
> >
> > While it would be good if all layout and formatting decisions were
> > made on the client and not by the author, layout is very important.
>
> Whilst I agree that would be good, thousands of web designers voted
> with their table based layouts that they should control layout.
> CSS layout features exist because the market (those with the money,
> not the consumers) wants to control layout.

No, I think what they said is your layout stinks and if you're not
going to give me decent tools, I'll make my own. A fairly resonable
sentiment.

When we get into changing things without the author and the consumer
in mind, we're really just shooting ourselves in the foot.

Authors would gladly give up their control of layout if means were
there to accomplish their goals.

Orion Adrian