Re: Why aren't styled language repsonsible for pseudo-classes?

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 12:44:30 +0200
To: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Mark Birbeck schreef:
>>It would make sense to me that the underlying languages that
>>are being styled specify the pseudoclasses they allow. Having
>>CSS specify them seems to limit the number of pseudoclasses
>>artificially and complicate the CSS system for all styled documents.
>
> I could not agree more! XForms requires a few pseudo-classes, yet they are
> still not available in any full recommendation.

When taking those pseudo-classes out of the CSS working groupís control,
there are some problems that I can see, mainly with naming:

1. It is desirable that there is unity in the pseudo-classes that are
used. E.g. :checked must be applicable both to HTML Forms and XForms.

2. CSS is not namespaced. Therefore, there can be only one authority
assigning names, or there *will* be conflicts. That authority is the CSS
WG, except for when it concerns vendor-specific extensions which are
prefixed with - or _.

~Grauw