Re: The Progress of CSS

On 07/02/2005 10:17 PM, Orion Adrian wrote:

>It took less than 2 years to completely port .Net 1.0 over to Linux.
>Could it possibly be that CSS is just a might too complex or badly
>architected?
>
>I actually had a project where I wrote ASP.Net code for Linux that ran
>from Apache. Now why was it easier for Open Source people to write an
>entire platform for code execution including a compiler than to write
>a browser that fully supported CSS 1.0? Me wonder.

Comparing implementation times of a programming language specification
to a presentational specification is rather unfair.  Try comparing to
(for example) Mozilla's JavaScript and E4X support instead.  That said,
there are other things on the presentational side that browser makers
must worry about.  There are a bunch of specifications which need to
interoperate adding that many more layers of complexity.