Re: [CSS21] properties for table-column (In HTML: COL) & table-column-group (In HTML: COLGROUP) items.

From: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 18:21:30 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

On 7/2/05, David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > people's inclination for self-destructive behavior. One thing that you
> > learn pretty quickly in usability classes is that users will ask for
> > things they don't really want and things that will ultimately harm
>
> You meant "need" not "want".

No I meant want. I'm looking at a long term view. Someone may go into
a store see something shiny, say "Oooo. me want", get it home and
finds it out wipes out his harddrive and then pokes him in the eye for
kicks.

Web designers (and anyone really) will from time to time ask for
things they think they want in moment A and wish they had stayed away
from it in moment B. I'm trying to save them the hassle.

> > them. I don't write copy, I don't design graphics. Why? Because I
>
> One thing want learns in (elementary) marketing classes is that
> sales are based on satisfying wants, not needs.  People with marketing
> budgets don't want informed customers, they want "cool" web sites
> with lots of flashy gimmicks, and to establish an instantly visible
> brand image that is completely different from their competitors.

While not having taken any classes on marketing, I worked at one
before and picked up that. I think it's pretty obvious once pointed
out.

However, each medium has it's own rules and the rules of the web is
don't flash, don't look like a graphic. Look like text. This is why
Google has been the most successful ad agency in the web's history in
such a short period of time. They consistently get results. Flashy
works in other mediums because you're trying to get someone's
attention away from all the other competing product, but when the user
is on your site, they're already there. There's nothing to compete
against.

Commercial web sites want to make money (that's their end). They will
ask for means that they think we want, but it's not our job to just
give in. It's our job to give them the tools to get to the end.

Orion Adrian