Re: FAQ about reasons behind CSS

Orion Adrian wrote:

>colspan, rowspan.
>
>They're presentational.
>
>Say, for instance, you have a row that's N/A. Really it's N/A in all
>those intersections between one axis and another. A non-presentational
>version of HTML tables would be:
><record>
>  <th>Detroit</td>
>  <c>N/A</c>
>  <c>N/A</c>
>  <c>N/A</c>
>  <c>N/A</c>
>  <c>N/A</c>
></record>
>
>table {
>  col-merge-on-value: "N/A"
>}
>
>A table is a way of presenting data. There are no row or column spans
>in the matrix that that table represents. There are presentation rules
>however that make it easier to parse. Like merging like values with
>something is N/A.

That is absolute and utter nonsense! Colspan and rowspan are meant to
reduce repetition, to say that a certain table cell applies to more than
one row or columns. They are in no way presentational.

As an example, look at: http://map.tni.nl/resources/msxsystemvars.php#USRTAB
Or the third table at:
http://map.tni.nl/resources/msx_io_ports.php#switch_io

They are for that reason also not marked as deprecated in the HTML
specification.

Also, I still don’t see how that has anything to do with :nth-last-child().

~Grauw