Re: CSS is doomed (10 years per version ?!?)

Orion Adrian wrote:

>Hardly. But their turn-around is closer to 5 years, not 10. And yes,
>there is a long time between when CSS 1.0 was released and CSS 2.1 was
>released. I trust the iterative nature they have.

Could you please drop the 10 years? You are comparing a number that
included 5 years of user adoption time with a number that doesn’t. The
turn-around (as-in implementation is available after specification) of
CSS is also closer to 5 years.

>This was a majorly good thing. I liked this a lot. Though the fact
>that CSS3 is a monstrosity that will never be actually implemented in
>full is another story. Who needs all those properties?

We’ll see. Although I agree that it is big, a lot of the things in it
also make sense.

But really: CSS 2.0 was also bigger. CSS 2.1 is based on the actual
implementations that resulted from CSS 2.0. We will see a similar CSS
3.1 in due time.

>>So the only difference really is: it is proprietary. With all the
>>disadvantages that carries.
>>

>And all the advantages it carries. There are some you know.

Not many, and they are overshadowed by the disadvantages. I don’t see
how you couldn’t mind "vendor lock-in". Aren’t you glad you can use
Firefox now? Haven’t you learned by now that as soon as Microsoft gains
a monopoly, their innovation slows to a halt (evidence: Internet Explorer)?

Vendor lock-in is bad and undesirable. No matter how you look at it.
Competition and standards are good.

>Yeah, but they will. XAML/.Net competes directly with
>HTML/CSS/Javascript. I hope everyone here sees that.

That is nonsense. XAML does in NO WAY compete with HTML / CSS /
Javascript. They are orthogonal languages. HTML is for creating
documents. XAML is for creating user interfaces, like XUL is.

I also do not believe Microsoft will create a proprietary alternative to
CSS. I just cannot imagine them going that way.

~Grauw