Re: Supporting propriety "Extensions"

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Christian Roth wrote:

> To David: Note that CSS21 is still only a Candidate Recommendation. All
> things written there may still change until it becomes a REC.

As demonstrated by CSS2 (and, in fact, most widely used specifications),
even being a REC is not a guarentee that things won't change. CSS2.1
represents the CSS working group's most up-to-date published thnking, and
as such can be considered as authoritative as any CSS spec can.

> To Ian: I still haven't seen any substantial (in fact, any at all)
> answer from the WG on my [1] and others' [2] vehement objection to
> allowing identifiers to start with an (unquoted) hyphen. Can you (or do
> you know someone who can) comment on this issue? Note that this is an
> issue at the Core Grammar level and will therefore stick with CSS
> forever.

My deepest apologies for not replying sooner.

> [2] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2004Jun/0013.html>

This was filed as issue 84. The working group considered the issue but did
not feel that it was a problem, and further felt that it was raised too
late in the process (after the publication of the CR spec) to be seriously
considered (especially since vendors have already begun using this syntax
for their extensions) .

In particular, if I recall correctly, the working group did not consider
it a problem that functions could not be prefixed by unary operators. The
example given in the e-mail cited above is most likely to be addressed as
follows in CSS3:

   calc(-2cm-4cm)

...instead of:

   -sum(2cm+4cm)

No other use cases for unary operators were immediately apparent.

> [1] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2005Jan/0071.html>

This is issue 128. The working group has not yet discussed it, but will
probably resolve it as a duplicate of the earlier issue.

Cheers,