Re: [css3-background], comments on 'border-radius'

From: Ben Ward <benmward@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:41:47 +0000
To: "[ Adrien Leygues ]" <aleygues@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

> You are right. Gecko engine already supports rounded-corners, and for
> exemple, it renders pretty good on that blog :
> http://ljouanneau.com/blog/

Gecko does have the beginnings of support, though I believe the
current Gecko syntax is slightly different from the CSS3 proposal.
It doesn't smooth (anti-alias) the edges of curves though, which means
it can be a little ugly in some places. If they get that fixed I'll be
a happy man.

> Does "AA" relates to the level of accessibilty ? if so, may i ask you
> to explain me the relation between CSS and AA in that case ?

"AA" in this case is an abbreviation for Anti-Aliasing.

It's my view in this case that whether or not curved corners, box/text
shadows et al get anti-aliased should be entirely a choice for user
agent implementors. Those who implement it will be at a
quality-stemmed competitive advantage over those who don't. But, bear
in mind also that calculating AA requires a certain amount of
processing that a particular user agent may not be able to afford - a
bare-bones browser such as K-Melon might not want to take that hit,
since it tries to provide a browser for users on slower, older
systems.
Thus, I don't think the spec should require something that raises the
minimum requirements of user-end software.

--
Ben
http://www.ben-ward.co.uk