Re: XHTML as XML

Jesper Tverskov wrote:
> I am talking about XHTML 1.1 served as xml. If you validate such a page,
> the id attribute in the html element is ok but not the class attribute.
> Since I would like to be able to validate my pages, I can't use the
> class attribute in the html element but it is true that the browsers
> don't care. They only test for well-formedness.
>
> Nice to know that Opera considers it a bug, what about Amaya? It is much
> more important to convince the web community why such a radical new
> approach to the body and the html elements is necessary when XHTML is
> served as xml.
>
> Web developers are going to hate W3C for this, and it's going to make
> the transition to an xml based internet more difficult. The arguments
> for such a radical new approach better be good or the new approach will
> help undermine the authority of the W3C.

 From what I gather, you are talking about the fact that in an XHTML
page, the body tag doesn’t automatically gain the height of the
viewport, but instead sizes to the content like any other box does, right?

I don’t see what is so ‘radical’ about it. You make it seem as if the
world has just ended, and this would threaten the very position of the
W3C. What a nonsense. This behavior is well-documented, I knew this
would be different and I had no trouble adjusting my pages to cope with
this whatsoever, it was very easy. body { height: 100% } will usually do
the trick. And in the end, the behaviour is more logical.

On a sidenote, obviously there is no real need for either an id or a
class attribute on the html element (from a styling perspective at
least) as it only occurs once in a document.

 > Web developers are going to hate W3C for this

I think web developers have worse things on their minds, such as making
their pages style correctly on IE, or struggling with
three-column-layouts, or one of the many other bothersome issues with
using CSS in a practical environment, than to be bothered about such a
trivial thing :).

~Grauw