Re: Display: inherit and positioning schemes

On Tuesday 2005-02-08 19:18 +0100, Laurens Holst wrote:
> Staffan Måhlén wrote:
> >All actually, but I don't know enough to tell if that would be
> >feasible. Do you know any webpages that use it? To me it seems like a
> >UA-developer feature rather than a CSS author feature.

It would probably be more of an author feature if IE for Windows
implemented it.

> If you set a font-family on the body, and see it being used on all
> elements in the document, you’re depending on inherit (even though you
> didn’t set it yourself). Inherit is the default value for a number of
> properties, and can not be removed because it is depended on by many.

It's actually not described as the default value.  The default value for
inherited properties is the value that is used for the root element.

> Basically, removing inherit would majorly break the CSS as it is used
> today. So even just thinking about doing so is wasting time you could
> better spend on other things :).

You're confusing removing the 'inherit' keyword (introduced in CSS2)
with removing inheritance (introduced in CSS1).

-David