Selectors: terminological: represents vs. selects or matches

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 12:05:24 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org

The Selectors spec says, "A Selector represents a structure." and then
proceeds to use the word "represents" throughout the document.

This language is not at all clear to me. While I can follow it, I think
the intent would be clearer if "represents" were replaced by "selects"
or "matches". e.g. in 6.5.1 "ID selectors match/select an element
instance based on its identifier."