Re: Selectors: section 6.5: Error

Ian Hickson wrote:

> I have rephrased the sentence to say " What makes attributes of type ID
> special is that no two such attributes can have the same value in a
> conformant document...". I will let you know if the working group
> disagrees with this change when it is reviewed.

I don't like the word "conformant". The questions is, conformant to
what? "Valid" at least is a little better defined with respect to HTML
and XML.

Also, are we really sure that all document languages will have the rule
that IDs do not repeat values? certainly that's a rule for valid HTML,
XML, and SVG; but it's always struck me as a slightly funny one. Might
there be a document language that does not have such a rule?

>> 2. Specify what happens when multiple elements share the same ID.
>
> This is already specified: "ID selectors represent an element instance
> based on its identifier", meaning that if the ID of an element is the same
> as the ID of the rule, it matches.

OK. That sounds reasonable. However I don't think it's totally obvious
from the wording, so I would suggest adding a slightly redundant
rephrasing such as, "If multiple elements share the same ID, then all
are represented by an ID selector on that value." or something along
those lines.