Re: styling xml with css - copying xml attribute values into CSS attribute values

From: Noah Scales <noahjscales@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:48:22 -0800 (PST)
To: www-style@w3c.org

Hi, Anne.

Mozilla's xlink support solves my custom mark-up
hyperlink problem. So my custom mark-up has hyperlinks
and anchors without anchor tags! But I still need to
use CSS files, particularly the attr() function, to
produce the custom display mark-up. How about adding a
CSS namespace and attributes (and maybe elements,
though I like the current attribute-value syntax), so
that CSS styling works inline with my custom mark-up?
For example:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<page xmlns="http://www.somepages.com/2006">
<mylink pointer="somepage.xml">some page</mylink>.
</page>

once transformed by XSLT, is

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<page
    xmlns="http://www.awebsite.org/2006"
    xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
    xmlns:css="http://www.w3.org/2006/css">
<mylink xlink:type="simple" xlink:href="somepage.xml"
css:style="hover-background:yellow;color:rgb(255,0,0);"
css:style="hover-text-decoration:underline;">some
page</mylink>.
</page>

The css namespace provides the styles to accessibly
display my custom mark-up in a browser. For example,
if I want to emphasize some text, there's styles that
let me do that appropriately for different UI.

You wrote:
"(Although I'd would not really like it in any
text/css file. More something different.)"

How about adding text/xlink files for extended links,
and using text/xsl to transform custom mark-up? That
way I can use one transformation language, instead of
two.

-Noah