Re: styling xml with css - copying xml attribute values into CSS attribute values

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 19:58:58 +0100, Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> Not in the way he suggests you do it.
>
> And in the way I'm suggesting it?

Makes sense. (Although I'd would not really like it in any text/css file.
More something different.)

>> Also, this would require some additional document where XHTML already
>> contains this kind of meaning. Not to say I really dislike your
>> "proposal"
>> though. Quite often there seems to be some need to let CSS specify
>> semantic hints/semantics.
>
> I think the fundamental problem here and why everybody wants to
> populate CSS with junk is because they want the matching mechanism.
> They want to be able to say, all these like this have these
> properties.

Yeah, like saying that some element has the same semantics as html:title
for example.

> It's part of the reason I'd like CSS to be broken apart into it's core
> components and standardized seperately. Specifically the matching
> algorith + selectors - certain pseudo-classes; the box model and the
> properties that can be applied to it; and the grammar.

Selectors is separate from CSS.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>