Re: [CSS21] Single viewport

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:00:00 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, www-style@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:
> Multiple viewports on a single canvas in CSS is impossible

I believe there is just a terminology problem here; as I recall in SVG any
<svg:svg> element establishes something that SVG calls a "viewport".  That
definition of "viewport" simply differs from the CSS one, as far as I can tell.

That said, there's the question of what "a single canvas" means.  For example,
multiple CSS viewports can be created using <iframe> tags in HTML.  And to a
certain extent these render "on a single canvas", since some UAs support
translucent iframes.

Back to SVG, <foreignObject> should perhaps also create a new CSS viewport
inside itself...  It's not clear to me, as an implementor, whether it does or not.

-Boris