Re: [CSS21] Wider variety of (non-junk) examples requested

From: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:14:33 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

What follows is my opinion:

On 8/26/05, David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > "neophilic adherence to fashionable syntaxes", I think most would
> > phrase it as "advocating careful coding practices".  But if the
>
> The use of the term "coding practices" here hints at one of the big
> culture differences here.  The SVG side seems to be treating HTML
> as a non-procedural programming language for web applications, whereas
> HTML was intended as a markup language for text documents.

I was all ready to but out until this comment. HTML isn't being
developed as a document language. It would be nice, but right now it
seems like it's in limbo land. The HTML WG has been fairly good about
this, but recently I've seen some disturbing changes again. Navigation
list is an example of this. While HTML may not be the primary culprit
of this change, it seriously doesn't seem like people are doing enough
about it. I think the precursors to the problem are CSS and
Javascript. I wonder why does a document need scripting? Why does a
document need advanced layout properties?

<snip />

--

Orion Adrian