Re: [CSS21] Wider variety of (non-junk) examples requested

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:48:42 +0200
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

* Chris Lilley wrote:
>This comment is sent from the CDF WG
>
>  All HTML examples conform to the HTML 4.0 strict DTD (defined in
>  [HTML40]) unless otherwise indicated by a document type declaration.
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-CSS21-20050613/about.html#q15
>
>They may do so, but unless they say so explicitly with a DOCTYPE
>declaration they are not valid; furthermore HTML 4 does not have a
>notion of well formedness or any lesser criterion than validity. HTML4
>examples are thus either valid or junk.

So, in http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-WICD-20050809/ an "example" like

is, as you say, "junk" because it is not a strictly conforming XHTML
family document? So the CDF WG's concern is that specifications must
not include code fragments but only complete documents as examples?
I don't think that would be a good constraint, but this is really an
issue for <http://www.w3.org/2001/06/manual/>; the CDF Working Group
is most welcome to contribute to the document on the spec-prod mailing
list.