Re: [CSS21] Section 6.1.3

Hi,

Ian Hickson wrote:

>>>You mean "Computed values are processed as far as possible without
>>>formatting the document"? That's not a conformance requirement, it
>>>describes how far computed values are processed after applying the
>>>requirements for computed values. Please let us know whether that
>>>addresses your concern.
>>>

>>Is it optional to do this? If it is not optional this does not address
>>my concern.
>>

>No, it's not optional, but that is because section 3.2 requires that user
>agents implement CSS consistent with the descriptions laid out in the
>spec, including section 6.

I do not think this is clear enough. I think that each statement
throughout the specification that requires conformance from a user agent
should use terminology that indicates this.

The QA Framework: Specification Guidelines
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-qaframe-spec-20050817) requirement 7 states:

          Use a consistent style for conformance requirements and
          explain how to distinguish them

Requirement 8 states:

          Indicate which conformance requirements are mandatory, which
          are recommended, and which are optional.

Specifying in section 3.2 that a UA must conform with the rest of the
specification does not make it easy to distinguish conformance
requirements. Nor does it make it easy to determine which comments are
mandatory, recommended or optional.

>Specifically, in the case of 6.1.3, the two "must" requirements that apply
>are "For each element in a document tree, it must assign a value for every
>applicable property according to the property's definition and the rules
>of cascading and inheritance" and "A user agent that renders a document
>with associated style sheets must respect points 1-5 and render the
>document according to the media-specific requirements set forth in this
>specification", which are list item 4 and the third bullet point in
>section 3.2 respectively.
>
>Please let us know if that addresses your concern.

Where are these musts you indicate that apply to section 6.1.3? they are
not linked to section 6.1.3.

No, this does not address my concerns.

Regards,
Craig