Re: [CSS21] CSS3

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:08:06 +0200
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Robin Berjon wrote:
>>It is common industry practice to use higher version numbers to indicate
>>later or more advanced specifications. Such forward references,
>>normative or not, are confusing to at least his reader. Please change
>>your draft so that it is not confusing.
>
> There are more than half a dozen of references to future versions of
> "the specification" in http://w3.org/TR/2005/WD-SVGMobile12-20050413
> so is the comment that references to CSS3 should be replaced by re-
> ferences to some arbitrary future version of CSS? How would that be
> less confusing exactly?

You can find all sorts of practices good and bad in any number of other
specifications, however I fail to see how this is germane to the topic,
unless you would be so kind as to explain in which way the
WD-SVGMobile12-20050413 is a paragon of virtue in specification writing.

That being said, I do indeed find it much less confusing to read
discussion of potential future work than existing next generation
documents since in one case only a roadmap is exposed while in the other
one wonders why one is reading or implementing this specification when
ones that appear to be more advanced are available.

--
Robin Berjon
   Senior Research Scientist