Re: [CSS21] CSS3

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:08:06 +0200
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Robin Berjon wrote:
>>It is common industry practice to use higher version numbers to indicate
>>later or more advanced specifications. Such forward references,
>>normative or not, are confusing to at least his reader. Please change
>>your draft so that it is not confusing.
> There are more than half a dozen of references to future versions of
> "the specification" in http://w3.org/TR/2005/WD-SVGMobile12-20050413
> so is the comment that references to CSS3 should be replaced by re-
> ferences to some arbitrary future version of CSS? How would that be
> less confusing exactly?

You can find all sorts of practices good and bad in any number of other
specifications, however I fail to see how this is germane to the topic,
unless you would be so kind as to explain in which way the
WD-SVGMobile12-20050413 is a paragon of virtue in specification writing.

That being said, I do indeed find it much less confusing to read
discussion of potential future work than existing next generation
documents since in one case only a roadmap is exposed while in the other
one wonders why one is reading or implementing this specification when
ones that appear to be more advanced are available.

Robin Berjon
   Senior Research Scientist
   Expway, http://expway.com/