Re: [CSS21] 3.2 Conformance: User Preferences

From: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:19:22 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 23:26, Christoph Päper wrote:
> David Woolley:
> > The problem with !important is specificity.  If you make a browser
> > setting equivalent to a single !important rule, the author can
> > override by using a more specific selector than the, presumably, *
> > rule (...)
> No, he can't. Specificity comes after importance and origin. At least
> if I not totally misunderstood 6.4.1 Cascading Order.

But there may still be things that you cannot express in CSS. E.g., a
browser may offer minimum contrast, color profiles, different media
screen/projection), etc.

And anyway, the sentence has a "may" so it doesn't imply any conformance
requirements. It is more a statement of fact and an explanation of what
the spec *doesn't* require: it is not forbidden to have such dialogs,
even if they do the same thing as a user style sheet.

Whether those browser options modify the user style sheet or result in a
separate configuration is also not specified. The goal is just to
assure a minimum level of user control over how Web pages are
displayed. If browsers give even more control, or try make it very
simple for users, so much the better.