Re: Gradients in CSS3?

From: Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:19:54 -0400
To: "R.J.Koppes" <rikkert@rikkertkoppes.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

R.J.Koppes wrote:
> If we are to allow <color> to be a gradient() function, what would this mean
> for gradients elsewhere? like border-color: gradient(); or color:
> gradient();

   For a border, you should see a gradient applied over the border
pixels, I would think. Same for text color. Seems pretty straightforward.

> Should the [text] get a per pixel gradient? (this seems like an
> awful thing to render), maybe per letter?

   I'd vote per pixel, but I don't see why we can't leave it up to the
user agent as to how that would render.

> What about borders?

   Considering we can have borders of X width, the gradient would have
to be per pixel. I envision the border as a box with a gradient, where
the inside is cut out.