Re: Gradients in CSS3?

From: Ben Ward <benmward@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:20:10 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

> I think specifying to points with 4 coordinates would be better. It
> would also work for stretching rectangles:
>
> background-color: gradient(blue, white, 0, 0, 100%, 100%);

You see, here kinda lies my point about complicating the syntax. What
you've got there is a lot of inputs to that function and I don't know
if that kind of complexity is in best the interests of CSS. It also
doesn't specify a direction, so would require another value input as
well. If it were my choice, I'd put a more advanced gradient like
out-of-scope and leave it to SVG.

The only other way of specifying direction than degrees that I can
think of would be compass points, with an enumeration for north,
north-east, east and so forth. That is far less flexible though, and I
can't see that any user of CSS would have problem using degrees; I
can't see anything wrong with degrees myself.

Ben
http://ben-ward.co.uk