CSS selectors and xml:id

From: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:31:21 -0400
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>

The xml:id spec [1], authored by the XML Core WG, has
gone through Candidate Recommendation, and we are about
to request it become a Proposed Recommendation.

Dan Connolly asked in email [2] about whether CSS id
selectors [3] will work with uses of xml:id.

Basically, if someone has:

  h1#chapter1 { text-align: center }

then we know that

  <h1 id="chapter1">A Heading</h1>

will be centered if id is known to be an ID attribute.
Once xml:id is a Recommendation, users will also expect

  <h1 xml:id="chapter1">A Heading</h1>

to be centered when they are styling XML documents.

I understand the Amaya browser has just been modified
to support this, so we do have some evidence of support.

The XML Core WG would like to know if the CSS WG has
any plans in this direction?

Specifically, would it make sense for the CSS specification
to state explicitly that attributes named xml:id will be
treated as IDs when styling XML documents?

paul

Paul Grosso
XML Core WG co-chair

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/CR-xml-id-20050208/