Re: [CSS3] xml namespace

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:12:41 +0000 (UTC)
To: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
>>> I have no idea
>> I am very reluctant for us to add features without good use cases,
>> especially when they make things more complicated.
> I hear you, but you are operating in a constrained environment here
> --- Insofar as you're adding namespace support to CSS3, you really
> ought to do so in a way that respects the Namespace REC itself as
> closely as possible.

Namespaces in CSS aren't just limited to applying to namespaces in XML
(The CSS model in general applies to more than XML, it applies to any tree

> It simply confuses users if you take almost-all-but-not-quite of what
> that REC says, and it says that 'xml' is pre-bound exclusively and
> irrevocably to 'http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace' and _vice versa_.

I would argue that most users don't know that 'xml' is bound to anything
and that most users will never use it.

> I don't see how it makes things more complicated for _users_, and it's
> trivial for implementors.

Many things are trivial. Together they add up to a QA nightmare of
exceptions on exceptions.