Re: User constant declarations in style sheets

From: Werner Donné <werner.donne@re.be>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:47:43 +0200
To: Mikko Rantalainen <mikko.rantalainen@peda.net>
CC: www-style@w3.org

You have really understood nothing of this thread.

Expressing the line height is not the subject. The subject is using
constants to create expressions that can be used throughout a style
sheet. In other words, making some things symbolic.

The line height example is just an example. Once the line height is
set, in I don't care what way, it should be possible to express the
rest in terms of a symbolic value that represents it, so when you
want to change the colour of your page through the line height you
can change it in only two places. Example:

const lh: 1.2em;

p { line-height: 1.2em; }
h1 { margin-top: 2lh; margin-bottom: 1lh; }

Instead of predefining yet another relative unit in CSS, a constants
mechanism could help in this and many other situations.

Werner.

--
Werner Donné  --  Re BVBA
Engelbeekstraat 8