Re: User constant declarations in style sheets

David Woolley wrote:
>>want to keep your text in phase. It would then be natural to
>>express heights in terms of the leading, which would be itself
>>derived from the font size with a factor. At the moment this
>>factor would have to be repeated all over the style sheet.
>

> This use case is invalid as there is a unit type for line-height,
> the one typically used in user agent style sheets although, unfortunately,
> little known to content authors, that already achieves this.

And what is the name, in CSS, of that unit?

> This is achieved by using a pure number, which is interpreted as a
> proportion of the current calculated font size (rather than the one
> at the time the property was set).  This is almost always the only
> safe unit to use, as IE doesn't consider line-height a font sizing
> property, so people, like me, who don't like the current vogue for
> microscopic type end up with insufficient or negative leading on the
> typical web page that sets pixel sizes for both fonts and line height.

There is also the print medium in CSS.

> Incidentally, if you have lots of font size properties in your style
> sheet, the design is suspect.

It has not been suggested that there would be a lot of font-size
properties.

I want to be able to express lengths in terms of the line height as
a unit.

--
Werner Donné  --  Re BVBA
Engelbeekstraat 8