Re: Descriptors versus Properties

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 19:25:13 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
On Sunday 2005-04-17 19:22 -0400, Sam Mela wrote:
> Descriptors and properties are both used in the CSS2 specification, but I am
> unable to locate a specific statement of when something should be a
> descriptor and when it whould be a property.  It seems as though this should
> be stated explictly in the beginning of the CSS2 Specification, or a
> reference should be cited as to where and explanation can be found.

Properties are part of rule sets, which are defined in Chapter 4:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/CR-CSS21-20040225/syndata.html#q10

Descriptors are part of @font-face rules, which are not in CSS2.1, but
are defined in Chapter 13 of CSS2:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/fonts.html#font-descriptions
or in css3-webfonts:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-webfonts-20020802/#font-descriptions

This doesn't seem particularly unclear to me, although it's perhaps
worth emphasizing the distinction in the definition of all the
descriptors, since they're rare.

-David

          Technical Lead, Layout & CSS, The Mozilla Foundation