CSS 2.1 to become a recommendation?

From: Ryan Cannon <ryan@ryancannon.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 16:02:43 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

When IE was mentioned on this list, something clicked in my mind in
relation to what I've read on the IE Blog[1]:

> By contrast, vague demands for open-ended “standards support”, or
 > requests for various standards that aren’t (yet, at least) standards
 > (there is no CSS3 standard yet, nor is XUL a standard), don’t really
 > help us drive our development very much.

I'm wondering if MS would consider CSS 2.1 a "standard", as it is still
a candidate recommendation. Since the six-month CR time has passed,
what, if anything, is the WG waiting on in order to fully recommend the
revision?

	[1] http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/03/09/391362.aspx

Based on the Charter[1], I'm having a little bit of trouble determining
the schedule of drafts; css3-selectors will have a test suite before its
new Last Call, but css21 will have it the other way around, and PR is
not at all on the three-year plan.

	[1] http://www.w3.org/Style/2004/css-charter.html

Forgive my ignorance, but I am anxious to see a legitimate level for
which web designers can aim (even /with/ bugs—I'm not that naïve). It
would be a shame for the latest Microsoft browser to pass on support for
mature CSS based solely on its lack of a "recommendation".

--

Ryan Cannon
Instructional Technology