The 'box-shadow' property

I wrote:
> I found a CSS shadow example at
> http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/007/shadows-demo.html . I hope there are
> plans for something better.

I see fantasai came up with the shadow idea years ago.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-css3-background-20050216/#the-box-shadow
"This example shows a shadow on the bottom right only, even though the box
is transparent. Shouldn't we see a "real" shadow, projecting exactly the
opaque parts of the box? What if the opaque parts are actually semi-opaque?
Will the shadow be less intense there?"

If the background color is set, the shadow shown in that example should be
correct. If there's no background, there should be a shadow of only the
border within and on the outside of the box. I don't know how to make a
semi-opaque part, but such a part should show a less intense shadow of the
proper hue. The specification says about the shadows "They are drawn just
outside the border edge" but that wouldn't make a "real" shadow when the
background is transparent, as the note above says. It should be optional to
have the shadow appear only on the outside of the box.

There's a separate text-shadow property which I think should need to be set
separately. A translucent background would be the same distance from the
surface (where the shadow lands) as the border, so a separate setting isn't
necessary for a background image, but the fact that there's a text-shadow
property shows that text could hover so its distance from the surface should
be set separately.

In my previous post I wanted to control whether a theoretical border-blur
could overlap text, but not with this. The margin should be measured as the
specs imply, not from the bottom of an inner border shadow.