Re: Parent pseudo-containers - a method for seperation of content from design

From: Emrah BASKAYA <emrahbaskaya@hesido.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 04:56:01 +0300
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 11:26:20 +0400, Maniac <Maniac@SoftwareManiacs.Org>
wrote:

> I was doing it myself and I'm glad to see I'm not alone :-).
> However there are things that I've always found hard to resolve between
> these two stylesheets. For example take borders. They are needed mainly
> for decoration purposes but they also affect layout. In some cases the
> problem can be quite severe: if you have two 50%-wide floats side by
> side adding a border to any of them places them one below the other.
> Do you have any more or less defined methods of dealing with this?

This is a good example why the CSS2 box model was a bad choice IMHO.
Hopefully in CSS3 we'll be able to select the box model. Current method
could be much more bearable for flexible layouts with simple arithmetic
expressions like %50 - 6px (for a 3px border, in this example). There had
been a discussion on expression recently I guess.. Dunno. I don't need
complex expressions. Just adding and subtracting two same/different units
would have been killer.

One method to deal with that is to have a box in box. BAD :) Other is
giving them smaller % on a trial basis. Another one, which is encouraged
by this current model, is to use px. and have a non-flexible design. BAD,
again.

--
Emrah BASKAYA
www.hesido.com