Re: Targeting CSS3 only (evil?), either with pseudoclass or an extra syntax for properties.

Ian,

While I accept (and hold a great respect and admiration for) the /aim/
of CSS has always been to create properties that act independently,
I'm not sure that this has been achieved in all cases. It's these
cases that I'm concerned may be constraining in embracing new CSS. Of
course the question is whether those cases are really deemed
important.

Take this example:

| When using the opacity property in CSS3, it is concievable and
| likely that an author will overlay a semi-transparent image over the
| top of some other content. In this case, if opacity is not supported
| then the overlayed image would obscure content and make the
| page unusable.
| In this situation, the positioning of that image is dependent on the
| implementation of opacity in the user agent. If opacity is not
| supported, it would be desirable to position the image differently
| in the page so as not to break it.

So, with regard to the above scenario and any similar others that may
arise in future. Is it in the WGs vision that CSS should have some
means of handling such conflicts? Or are scenarios such as this
accepted as 'inevitable without resolution' as the CSS vocabulary
grows larger?

By "some means", I don't mean to specifically refer to this
discussion. I simply mean "any solution that meets some set of
requirements that the WG have in mind".

Thanks Ian.

Ben

http://www.ben-ward.co.uk