Re: Targeting CSS3 only (evil?), either with pseudoclass or an extra syntax for properties.

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:30:03 +0000 (UTC)
To: Emrah BASKAYA <emrahbaskaya@hesido.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Emrah BASKAYA wrote:

> It may be correct for this example because it uses multiple-value
> syntax, but what about other properties? (just repeat the same propery
> using commas trick?) and let's remember most think that we need more
> than a CSS3 scheme, the discussion shifted to "Conditional CSS sections
> based on property support".

I don't really want to get involved in the rest of the thread (which is
only rehashing ideas that have been proposed for over half a decade), but
as far as using new properties and new values, the whole design of CSS is
structured around the idea that compliant CSS UAs will ignore new
constructs that they don't support, so that old and new can be used in
parallel with UAs using just the bits they support.