Re: Targeting CSS3 only (evil?), either with pseudoclass or an extra syntax for properties.

Emrah BASKAYA wrote:
> the alternative browsers fix their CSS bugs very fast, and  all the latest
> alternative browsers seem to do a very very good job  displaying standard
> CSS the same way, and their users are able to adopt  new versions very
> quickly, as they are not part of the OS. One specific  hack for a version
> e.g 1.45 might not work for 1.46

I've noticed a fairly even split among the browsers with the problems, but I
haven't really been keeping score. I only started using conditional comments
recently, but I intend to test my webpages on new versions of the browsers
that I use conditional comments for. I narrowly target browser versions, and
would continue to do so with the "other" ones if they supported conditional
comments, though I realize it would be more difficult if new versions come
out more frequently. Not much more difficult though.

> (Remember the issue with an alternative browser in a popular internet page
> sending flawed code on its pages to that specific browser, almost made one
> think it was done on purpose.)

I remember the allegations from the Opera community about Microsoft
purposely causing webpages to be mis-rendered. Fear of things like that
might cause some browser developers to falsify the user agent name, but
testing a webpage on such a browser would still allow you to create working
markup.

I like property sniffing though. The more things you can sniff out, the
better. I wish I was able to sniff out whether a browser supports a
magnification feature like Opera (my favorite browser for resizing web
pages) or the less accurate text resizing like IE and Mozilla, and I wish I
was able to detect whether a client is caching anything. More is better.
Greed is good. I'll have extra cheese with that.