Re: Targeting CSS3 only (evil?), either with pseudoclass or an extra syntax for properties.

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 21:23:02 +0100 (BST)
To: www-style@w3.org

> David, if conditional comments should be totally ignored, then I'm glad IE

These mailing lists are about W3C standards and there is no such thing
as a conditional comment in those standards.

> How do you stop a browser developer who has an idea for a great new HTML or
> CSS feature from implementing it? Freedom and innovation are the foundations

You can't, but you can hope that they will not do so by abusing the language
based on a shallow understanding of its structure.

> I don't use conditional comments in order to use non-standard CSS anyway. I
> use them when I can't get various versions of IE to render the way other

I think the particular point here was that the HTML should reflect the
meaning of the document, not its appearence, so should not change.