Re: Targeting CSS3 only (evil?), either with pseudoclass or an extra syntax for properties.

Ben Ward wrote:
> Since you advocate conditional comments so avidly. What is the
> advantage for you (solely in the conext of CSS, not talking HTML) for
> having a "conditional" syntax based on user agent name/version (like
> you describe), over having a syntax that enables conditional styles
> based entirely on the user agent's support for a certain, specific
> subset of styles which you're using in a use case?

Good web developers would test their webpages in the major browsers even
with the proposed solutions, some of which are verbose and some dependant on
the honesty of the browser developers and extent and type of testing the
browsers undergo. A property might work under the test conditions and not
work on my webpage, so I'd need a change according to the browser and not
according to whether a set of properties officially works.

Some of my webpages have worked a certain percentage of the time. What if a
property works 95% of the time? I find inconsistent rendering unacceptable,
even with 95% consistency.