Re: Targeting CSS3 only (evil?), either with pseudoclass or an extra syntax for properties.

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 10:14:57 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org

Barry wrote:
> I wouldn't mind that, but I'd rather see more browsers support
> conditional comments.

So, to resolve a styling issue, you would want to change the content
document??? Also, what about XML files, with <?xml-stylesheet ?>
instructions? I don’t think comments are allowed there. Just like a
:css3 selector, this is a bad idea.

With regards to the :css3 selector... When will it be satisfied, when is
a browser ‘using CSS3’? CSS3 consists out of several modules which are
finished and implemented quite independantly. In practice people *will*
use browser specific CSS. If a :css3 selector would exist, it would be
used exactly for that. Besides, as there are several CSS3-only selectors
they can be used perfectly well for that purpose, e.g. :nth-child(1n).

If anything, there could be something like ‘:browservendor(id,version)’,
or something to selectively query support for certain properties (that
was actually a pretty nice proposal recently). But I think this has been
proposed and rejected many, many times, so discussion about it is really
quite... well... pointless. I don’t see it changing anything. Especially
when it doesn’t introduce a good new idea.

~Grauw