Re: More controlled degrading, @supported at-rule

From: Benjamin D. Smedberg <bsmedberg@covad.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 01:04:51 -0400
To: Matthew.van.Eerde@hbinc.com
CC: kfl@3dots.de, www-style@w3.org

Matthew.van.Eerde@hbinc.com wrote:
> Kai F. Lahmann wrote:
>
>>Am Donnerstag, 16. September 2004 23:20 schrieb Benjamin D. Smedberg:
>>
>>>http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/bsmedberg/css-supported.html
>>
>>interesting idea, but what do you call "supported"? does MSIE support
>>'position' (it knows all 3 values, but has 'fixed' linked to
>>'static') for that?

IE supports "position", but it does not support "position: fixed".

> Of necessity the user agent will exclusively decide what it "supports".
> Perhaps a
> @supports [ position(fixed) ]
> kind of syntax will allow detecting support of sub-features.

Well, my grammar already specifies a syntax, although the prose doesn't
really explain. You can specify a bare property name or a property:value.

@supported [ opacity; position: fixed; ] { #myel { color: red; } }

so #myel would only be red if the UA supports the "opacity" property
*and* the "fixed" value for the "position" property.

--BDS