Re: More controlled degrading, @supported at-rule

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 00:22:05 -0500
To: "Benjamin D. Smedberg" <bsmedberg@covad.net>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Benjamin D. Smedberg wrote:
> IE supports "position", but it does not support "position: fixed".

The point was that IE/Win itself claims to support "position: fixed".  Consider
that the stylesheet:

   position: absolute;
   position: fixed;

is treated differently from the stylesheet:

   position: absolute;

in IE/Win.  A browser with no "position:fixed" support should treat those two
identically.

Your proposal is depending on browsers not lying about their capabilities (while
at the same time giving them some incentive to do so).  As one can see from the
above example, this may not be a reasonable dependency...

In any case, all this has been discussed on this list before (including related
issues like the difference or lack thereof between lack of support and user
stylesheets overriding part of the page sheet and so forth). I don't have urls
to the archived mails on the subject off the top of my head, but searching the
archives may be a good start.

-Boris