Re: [CSS3UI] id references in focus navigation properties

From: Antoine Quint <ml@graougraou.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:00:03 +0900
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Hi Ian,

On 14 sept. 04, at 18:01, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Antoine Quint wrote:
>>
>> The SVG Working Group is currently looking at the focus navigation
>> properties in CSS UI, and specifically the four properties described
>> in
>> section 10.2.2 of the CR document [0]. The properties look fine except
>> for the syntax used to reference ids. The spec says you should use the
>> straight # syntax (ie. nav-up: #Top) as opposed to using the url()
>> syntax (ie. nav-up: url(#Top). Is this an oversight or a deliberate
>> decision? Thanks for any clarification,
>
> It's intentional. url(#top) would be a fragment identifier in the
> stylesheet, and url(foo.html#top) would mean that nav-up could define
> any
> links, which we specifically set out not to address, since that would
> be a
> semantic not a style.

I'm not quite sure I understand here. In the case of SVG, we are
certainly only interested in internal references, and the syntax we are
using for other properties is of the form url(#foo). Certain properties
in SVG allow for external references too (url(foo.svg#top)), but here
we would rather leverage the existing url() contructor where the spec
(either CSS or SVG) clearly points out the restriction to local