Re: [css21] 5.12.2 The :first-letter pseudo-element (the Dutch "ij")

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 15:18:10 +0300 (EEST)
To: WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, Rijk van Geijtenbeek wrote:

> I think this is a very specific issue for the Dutch language.

That would make the note in the current CSS specification even stranger,
since it clearly suggests more.

I wonder what people think about "ch", for example, in languages where it
is traditionally treated as a single letter in some sense, e.g. in
alphabetic order. If you specify that the first letter of each paragraph
appear in red, what would people intuitively expect to happen when a
paragraph stats with a Spanish word with "Ch" or "Ll" at its beginning.