Re[2]: [css21] 5.12.2 The :first-letter pseudo-element (the Dutch "ij")

From: Alexander Savenkov <savenkov@xmlhack.ru>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:45:35 +0400
To: "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
CC: WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>

Hello,

2004-09-12T16:18:10+03:00 Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi> wrote:

>> I think this is a very specific issue for the Dutch language.

> That would make the note in the current CSS specification even stranger,
> since it clearly suggests more.

> I wonder what people think about "ch", for example, in languages where it
> is traditionally treated as a single letter in some sense, e.g. in
> alphabetic order. If you specify that the first letter of each paragraph
> appear in red, what would people intuitively expect to happen when a
> paragraph stats with a Spanish word with "Ch" or "Ll" at its beginning.

We don’t even need to go this far. Consider a case of quotation.

E.g.:

“To be or not to be?”

I would expect the :first-letter to apply to the first two characters
(or maybe even three). Existing user agents are way too simplistic for
such behavior.

Alexander
--
  Alexander Savenkov                            http://www.xmlhack.ru/