multiple backgrounds syntax

From: by way of Bert Bos <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:31:00 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org

With margin it is: top (space) bottom...

So using url(foo) url(bar) for top bottom on background properties
 seems the most consistent to me. With 4 parameters it would differ of
 course, it's not top but northeast, etc. In that I'd say stay with the
 clockwise approach, northeast being first.

Comma's denote fallback alternatives, if you ask me (see font, and the
proposed content syntax), so they're not a good option. The | is a
syntax I have never seen before - I don't think this is a good place to
introduce it. In any case | is generally associated with 'or'.

~Grauw