9.8.3

From: Mike Lucas <mike.lucas@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:41:13 +0000
To: <www-style@w3.org>
I have been trying out section 9.8 of your spec. to try and gain understanding of the behaviour of floating, positioning and so on.

I could not get my IE6.0 to demonstrate the CLEAR behaviour of the <SPAN id="sibling"> in the 9.8.3 example, that is it behaved like the other inline content and did not drop below the floated element.

However if the <SPAN> is inline (as you defined it in your example) then I wouldn't expect it to drop down below the floated "inner" contents because of 9.5.2  ... "This property (clear) may only be applied for block-level elements (including floats)."

When I modified the style so that #sibling included the rule "display: block;"  then all was OK

Mike L