Re: Please explain why we need multiple background images

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 20:59:37 -0800
To: "Brian Sexton" <discussion-w3c@ididnotoptin.com>, "Anne van Kesteren" <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Cc: "www-style" <www-style@w3.org>

| Multiple border images would be nice ... rounded-corner strip graphics...

You don't need multiple images for that (multiply images - multiply
overhead).

Example:
Here is a result (three elements at the bottom):
http://terrainformatica.com/w3/expandable.png

And here are orignal images used for rendering table at the very bottom
table background:
http://terrainformatica.com/w3/tableback.png
and cells backrground:
http://terrainformatica.com/w3/cellback.png

To define such complex backgrounds you need
1) image (only one)
2) four image margins
  section definitions :
http://www.terrainformatica.com/htmlayout/images/srcback.gif
  to render destination:
http://www.terrainformatica.com/htmlayout/images/dstback.gif
3) one addtional value 'expand'  for background-repeat atrribute.

Pretty simple and effective.

Probably (if we don't want to introduce new attributes) full definition
might look like:

#table-image td
{
 background-image:url(backgrounds/cellback.png);
 background-position:8px 8px 8px 8px; /*left top right bottom offsets*/
 background-repeat:expand; /* or -h-smile-expand, whatever you like */
 padding:8px;
 border: none;
}

Andrew Fedoniouk.