[proposal] Table cell selectors.

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 18:55:53 -0800
To: <www-style@w3.org>

To intoduce:

Table cell selector:

E[@column=number @row=number]

Matches any table cell located at column number and row number. Where number
is a decimal number or "odd" or "even" or "last" values. Columns and rows
numbers start from number 1.

Examples:

TD[@column=1]  /* matches all cells in first column  in all tables. */
{
   text-align:right
}

#mytable TD[@row=even] /* matches all cells in even rows in all table with
id "mytable". */
{
    background-color:yellow;
}
#mytable TD[@row=odd] /* matches all cells in odd rows in all table with id
"mytable". */
{
    background-color:cyan;
}
I think that index selector for any other elements would be also useful.
E[@index=number]
Where number is a decimal number or "odd" or "even" or "last" values.
Numbers of element indexes also start from 1.

These selectors are olready implemented in v.3. of our HTMLayout and people
found them extremely useful.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com