Re: [CSS21] Contradiction in the spec with auto-offset fixed-position elements

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 15:04:19 -0600
To: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> OK. Let's take a look from other prospective on this page:
>
> Formally speaking this page just has scrollbars detached from scrollable
> area.

One could think of it this way, yes...

> Lets think that scrollbars of the view are just "observers" of the state of
> ***any*** scrollable area (overflow:auto) in the document. Wouldn't it be
> better?

Then how do I have different scroll positions for different overflowing
things?  Or am I misunderstanding your proposal?

> And yet this will easy solve other fundamental problem with scrollbars in
> HTML.

Which is what?

> With the fixed and other artificial positionings you will never
> stop fighting with problems like this:
> http://terrainformatica.com/w3/ff-css-main.png

It's not clear to me why that shows anything but an authoring error in
the page...

Note that the desiderata here are to (1) preserve compatibility with
existing content and UAs as much as possible and (2) allow making things
"pinned" when one scrolls without changing the content model.

The problem with any proposal that just puts things in flow is that it
forces changes to the content model when different styling is desired...

-Boris