Please explain why we need multiple background images

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 16:53:35 +0100
To: W3C CSS List <www-style@w3.org>

The only reason I can see is for the "borders" of an area. However, we
could use 'border-image' or a similar property to do that.

You could also use '::before' and '::after', though some W3C Members
think you are abusing the selectors if you use them for a top and bottom
background image.

I don't really see a reason to introduce this new feature.

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>