[CSS3-Selectors] Question on :empty pseudo-class

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 00:58:34 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org

I was looking at the definition of the :empty pseudo-class [1] and it seems to
be rather underdefined to me... For example:

1) If I have an element with a single child in the DOM and that child is a
    comment node, will that element match :empty?
2) Same for processing instruction instead of comment?

(The sensible answer to both would seem to be "no", but that should be clearly
stated, I think.)

The spec does seem to say that if I have a single newline as a child the node
should _not_ match :empty.  That may be more clearly stated as:

   "The :empty pseudo-class represents an element that has no children at all.
    Text nodes, even if they are empty or contain only whitespace, are considered
    children."

(Not quite as much of a run-on as the phrasing in the spec.)

I'm told that if I search hard enough on the web and in bug reports I should be
able to find the answers to these questions, but it seems to me that the spec
should be interoperably implementable based on the information contained in the
spec.  My apologies if this is already on the issues list, of course.

-Boris