Re: [CSS3-Selectors] Question on :empty pseudo-class

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> I was looking at the definition of the :empty pseudo-class [1] and it
> seems to be rather underdefined to me...
[...]
>          but it seems to
> me that the spec should be interoperably implementable based on the
> information contained in the spec.  My apologies if this is already on
> the issues list, of course.

Yes, it's underspecified and it's indeed on the WG's issues list. At some point
(hopefully soon) we will publish an updated spec.

I believe these examples cover all cases:

Empty:

     <foo/>
     <foo></foo>
     <foo><!-- empty --></foo>
     <foo><?pi?></foo>
     <foo><![CDATA[]]</foo>

Not empty:

     <foo>text</foo>
     <foo> </foo>                   -- assuming XML, SGML may be different

These cases are also in the Selectors test suite (tests 148-153).

Bert
   +33 4 93 65 76 92               06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France